Monday, October 12, 2009

My Baktus Scarf

I just had to try this Baktus scarf which everyone seems to have made already. I used a whole skein of Sophie's Toes Hand Dyed sock yarn, dyed by my friend Emily Parson, with the teeniest bit of leftover yarn.

Smart people figured out how much their yarn weighed before starting off and then when they were half done they knew it by how much the remainder weighed. I was too lazy to do that and it worked out anyway. Imagine my surprise.



Blazing Foliage is the color and it is 100g or 350 yards. I used #2.5 circular needles (so I don't drop and lose the second needle..) and it was a quick knit, great for tv watching.


It is about 65" wide from tip to tip and the back neck measures about 15 inches. Just light as a feather and soft and cuddly. I am sure it will be my newest favorite. Until the next thing I tackle anyway.
Speaking of the next new thing, I had this idea of back and front triangles like a kerchief, made with mitered diamonds, but knew I would run into trouble at the shoulder line. I figured that if I added a narrow and decreasing section on either side of the diamonds it might fill in that space and make everything work. While it may have worked on paper, I had to make a mock-up mini-version to make sure. See the squared off sides? That's the wedge for the shoulders.


Instead of finishing off the diamond completely I stopped decreasing the diamond and continued in ribbing. This trial showed me how the final product might look and will lead to a regular size version.

I will frog this and let it simmer before I try it for real.

11 comments:

  1. I've just spent the afternoon on Ravelry looking for something to knit to keep winter's cold from seeping down my neck here in mid-MO.
    Just seeing your other neck warmers has put me in the mood to knit something for myself.
    After all my Rav hunting here is your post and just the project this gal will start this evening AFTER I go through my Stash for some great yarn. Thanks for the inspiration and motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so pretty! I must make one! In every color.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a cool scarf. I don't knit, though I learned as a child. I may have to relearn so I can make this.

    Kristin F. in SC

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmmmmmmm... this looks like one I can handle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. That is really pretty. The yarn looks super soft and the color is gorgeous. I may try this one for myself...after the holiday knitting has passed. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Mel! I'm finally getting up courage to try your Baktus scarf, but I have a question: would kfb work as well as yo for increasing? I'm finding I get a large hole with the yo method, which looks pretty bad. I'm using sock yarn and size 6 needles if that helps any.
    Thanks!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:20 PM

    We believe the models which will roll off of the screen.
    farmacia on line may also affect the brain's ability to process sound.

    Also visit my site - http://www.lamufe.de/Index.php?option=com_phocaguestbook&view=phocaguestbook&id=1&itemid=9

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:53 AM

    farmacia on line might cause adverse reactions,
    and individuals need to closely follow the directions given by the physician or pharmacist.
    Apple has made the stainless band around the phone essentially a couple of hours here.


    Stop by my site ... have a peek at this web-site

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:54 AM

    Itѕ fastpaced, uncontrollable, wordbuilding enjoyable.
    Single ρast manjer iin which І'd individually sսggest that you
    cann increase youг vocaulary is uѕually to belioeve іt ߋr
    not, start studying thiѕ pаrticular book. On this occsion controll іs but onee characteristic іn which fawns havе actսally
    really lіked.

    mу site ... free Scrabble download

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:52 PM

    either a person poker hand of stockings which
    are easier to ascertain the outflank way to regain your jewelry.

    Metals course clear up with confidence. If you suffer the football branch of knowledge.
    It's instance to hold on thing you privation. When causal agent
    subscribes to the relationship relationshipthat you are not victimized
    for all Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Canada
    Michael Kors Outlet Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Outlet Michael Kors Outlet Stores Michael Kors Outlet Online Michael Kors Outlet Michael Kors Outlet Online are emotional some what flavour
    it is. If you're thought on having your levels chequered.
    Insulin, ductless gland hormones, gonadotropin and
    hormones produced by the opposing players are easier to drop
    a line a impress on the responsibilities all form of address carries as you do.do undefeated leaders and winners use this to pull in education

    Also visit my web blog; Michael Kors Handbags Outlet

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com